close this panel
Name: 2018 Section on Tobacco Control (SOTco)
Location: , Orlando, Florida
Date: November 2–6, 2018
Website: Click here
2018 Section on Tobacco Control (SOTCo) Abstracts Program
Abstracts submitted should focus on any aspect of tobacco and child health, including but not limited to, effects of maternal smoking during pregnancy, secondhand smoke exposure and child health, teenage initiation and patterns of tobacco use, media and smoking, emerging tobacco products, intervening with parental smokers during the pediatric office visit, tobacco dependency treatment, quality improvement projects, and tobacco control policy.
Submitted abstracts should fall into one of two categories:
Abstracts will be accepted for poster presentations only. The top abstracts chosen by the Abstract Review Committee may be given the opportunity to discuss their abstracts in a brief oral presentation.
Submission of an abstract will not preclude future submission for journal publication, nor does prior publication nor prior presentation or acceptance at another medical or scientific meeting disqualify submission to this section. Complete the fields regarding previous submission even though this will not exclude the paper from consideration. Priority may be given to papers not previously published or presented.
A note on trainees and early-career physicians: the Section on Tobacco Control (SOTCo) is committed to supporting trainees and early-career physicians' engagement in tobacco control activities in their institutions. As such, we especially encourage trainees and early-career physicians to submit abstracts.
Please note that abstract authors who attend the NCE must register and pay for the meeting (as well as any additional travel and housing expenses). The Section does not have funds to cover these costs for authors of abstracts.
Presenters of accepted abstracts should notify Judith Groner as soon as possible if they must cancel their presentation.
QUALITY IMPROVEMENT PROJECT ABSTRACT SUBMISSIONS AND MOC PART 4 ELIGIBILITY
- Program abstracts describing ongoing or completed projects focusing any aspect of tobacco control
- Research abstracts presenting original research findings.
- This year, we will be accepting abstracts describing quality improvement projects. These abstracts may be eligible
for free MOC Part 4 credit through the AAP’s Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Portfolio.
- Please describe the following in your abstract submission. These items MUST be included on the poster or slide presentation in order to be eligible for MOC credit:
- The specific aim of the quality improvement project that describes the target population, desired numerical improvement, and timeframe for achieving the improvement
- The process for improvement (eg, QI methodology utilized, how the intervention was implemented, how tests of change were used to modify interventions, who was involved, etc)
- Graphical display of data: a minimum of baseline and 2 follow-up measurements
- A discussion of the degree to which the aim was achieved
- Factors that affected success
- Next steps for the QI project
If you created an account in a different program, you may use the same username and access key. If this is your first time submitting, please create a new account.
- To submit an abstract describing a QI project, select the “QI Project” radio button as part of your abstract submission.
- If accepted into the H program, you will be contacted by AAP Division of Quality/MOC Portfolio staff with further information about MOC eligibility.
- Note: authors can still submit a QI project abstract even if not interested in MOC credit. Abstracts may still be accepted into the program even if they do not follow the MOC guidelines. These, however, will not be eligible for MOC credit.
- Poster/oral presentations describing projects already approved for MOC Part 4 credit are not eligible for additional credit.
- Additional details are available here: www.aap.org/mocabstracts
Log in to submit an Abstract
Click 'Join Now' to begin your first submission.
Organizer: Katie Friedman - email@example.com /