close this panel
Name: 2018 Section on Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery (SOCCS)
Location: , Orlando, Florida
Date: November 2–6, 2018
Website: Click here
2018 Section on Cardiology & Cardiac Surgery (SOCCS) Abstracts Program
- The Section on Cardiology & Cardiac Surgery accepts abstracts related to any aspect of cardiology or cardiac surgery, including pediatric and adult congenital heart disease, pediatric cardiology, and pediatric cardiac surgery. This section will consider original research only. Abstracts must describe original, previously unpublished and unpresented work. Accepted abstracts will be published in the online Congenital Heart Disease Journal.
- Abstracts will be accepted for podium (oral) presentations as well as poster presentations. Abstracts submitted may be considered for either format at the discretion of the Abstract Review Committee. Regular oral abstracts will be presented on Saturday morning. Posters will be hung from Friday through Sunday for the duration of the 3-day cardiology program with a Poster Walk Reception on Friday late afternoon. The Cardiology Banquet will be held on Saturday night. The Pediatric Cardiology Training Fellows workshop will be held on Saturday, 11:30 am – 1:00 pm.
- The Young Investigator Awards are broken down into three categories: Medical Students/Residents; Training Fellows; and Early Career (within five years of training). Authors will be notified of acceptance to the Young Investigator Award competition in July. If accepted, authors must submit a manuscript by September in order to compete for the Award. Young Investigator abstracts will be presented on Friday afternoon.
- New for 2018, the Section will be calling for and accepting Quality Improvement project abstracts to be presented during Symposium 1: Safety, Quality Improvement and Value in Pediatric Cardiology on Friday. These abstracts may be eligible for free MOC Part 4 credit through the AAP’s Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Portfolio. See below for specific information regarding submission of QI abstracts.
- If you have any questions about the cardiology schedule or if you must cancel your abstract presentation, please contact Vivian Thorne as soon as possible.
QUALITY IMPROVEMENT PROJECT ABSTRACT SUBMISSIONS AND MOC PART 4 ELIGIBILITY
- This year, we will be accepting abstracts describing quality improvement projects. These abstracts may be eligible for free MOC Part 4 credit through the AAP’s Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Portfolio.
- Please describe the following in your abstract submission. These items MUST be included on the poster or slide presentation in order to be eligible for MOC credit:
- The specific aim of the quality improvement project that describes the target population, desired numerical improvement, and timeframe for achieving the improvement
- The process for improvement (eg, QI methodology utilized, how the intervention was implemented, how tests of change were used to modify interventions, who was involved, etc)
- Graphical display of data: a minimum of baseline and 2 follow-up measurements
- A discussion of the degree to which the aim was achieved
- Factors that affected success
- Next steps for the QI project
If you created an account in a different program, you may use the same username and access key. If this is your first time submitting, please create a new account.
- To submit an abstract describing a QI project, select the “QI Project” radio button as part of your abstract submission.
- If accepted into the H program, you will be contacted by AAP Division of Quality/MOC Portfolio staff with further information about MOC eligibility.
- Note: authors can still submit a QI project abstract even if not interested in MOC credit. Abstracts may still be accepted into the program even if they do not follow the MOC guidelines. These, however, will not be eligible for MOC credit.
- Poster/oral presentations describing projects already approved for MOC Part 4 credit are not eligible for additional credit.
- Additional details are available here: www.aap.org/mocabstracts
Log in to submit an Abstract
Click 'Join Now' to begin your first submission.
Organizer: Katie Friedman - firstname.lastname@example.org /