close this panel
Name: 2018 Section on Emergency Medicine (SOEM)
Location: , Orlando, Florida
Date: November 2–6, 2018
Website: Click here
2018 Section on Emergency Medicine (SOEM) Abstracts Program
QUALITY IMPROVEMENT PROJECT ABSTRACT SUBMISSIONS AND MOC PART 4 ELIGIBILITY
- The Section on Emergency Medicine (SOEM) accepts abstracts related to any aspect of pediatric emergency medicine (PEM).
- Abstracts will be accepted for podium (oral) presentations as well as poster presentations. Abstracts submitted may be considered for either format at the discretion of the Abstract Review Committee.
- There will be a separate abstract judging process for quality improvement abstracts with designated slots in the main SOEM program on Friday afternoon to highlight original quality improvement research and projects. To be considered quality improvement, abstracts should describe a specific aim, an improvement process, and results towards achieving the aim. The project should be prospective and address a gap in quality.
- Submissions by members and non-members of the SOEM are welcome; participation is open to health professionals in any field. However, any papers whose authors are not members of the SOEM require a sponsor who is a member. It is the responsibility of the individual submitting the abstract to find a sponsor. Sponsors must ensure that nonmembers adhere to all guidelines. Authors submitting to the SOEM in need of a sponsor may contact Karen O'Connell (email@example.com).
- Abstracts may be submitted to another scientific society for presentation, but should not have been published prior to presentation at the AAP. Papers presented at previous AAP meetings should not be re-submitted.
- Awards will be provided to 4 abstracts, including: 1) Overall Best Paper, 2) Best Poster, 3) Best Paper by a Resident or Fellow Trainee, and 4) Best Quality Improvement Paper.
- Accepted abstracts will be published in Pediatrics following the conference.
- Presenters of accepted abstracts should notify Karen O'Connell (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible if they must cancel their presentation.
- This year, we will be accepting abstracts describing quality improvement projects. These abstracts may be eligible for free MOC Part 4 credit through the AAP’s Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Portfolio.
- Please describe the following in your abstract submission. These items MUST be included on the poster or slide presentation in order to be eligible for MOC credit:
- The specific aim of the quality improvement project that describes the target population, desired numerical improvement, and timeframe for achieving the improvement
- The process for improvement (eg, QI methodology utilized, how the intervention was implemented, how tests of change were used to modify interventions, who was involved, etc)
- Graphical display of data: a minimum of baseline and 2 follow-up measurements
- A discussion of the degree to which the aim was achieved
- Factors that affected success
- Next steps for the QI project
If you created an account in a different program, you may use the same username and access key. If this is your first time submitting, please create a new account.
- To submit an abstract describing a QI project, select the “QI Project” radio button as part of your abstract submission.
- If accepted into the H program, you will be contacted by AAP Division of Quality/MOC Portfolio staff with further information about MOC eligibility.
- Note: authors can still submit a QI project abstract even if not interested in MOC credit. Abstracts may still be accepted into the program even if they do not follow the MOC guidelines. These, however, will not be eligible for MOC credit.
- Poster/oral presentations describing projects already approved for MOC Part 4 credit are not eligible for additional credit.
- Additional details are available here: www.aap.org/mocabstracts
Log in to submit an Abstract
Click 'Join Now' to begin your first submission.
Organizer: Katie Friedman - email@example.com /