• The Council on Quality Improvement and Patient Safety welcomes the submission of abstracts for its program at the 2018 AAP National Conference & Exhibition.
• Pediatricians, both experienced and in-training, in community-based as well as academic practice, generalists and specialists alike are encouraged to submit abstracts related to any aspect of quality improvement and/or patient safety, including those that fall into the following broad categories:
1. Quality Improvement Project: This category should have a measurable AIM with a minimum of baseline data at time of submission of abstract and a MINIMUM of data from 2 improvement cycles at time of presentation. Baseline data should be included in the abstract and run or control charts must be submitted in the actual poster. SQUIRE guidelines are suggested as a way to structure the abstract and the presentation although not all projects will match all guidelines. The submitting author is strongly encouraged to review SQUIRE guidelines here. This type of activity could be considered for MOC Part IV credit and will be considered for eligibility for award.
2. Innovation, Research or Education in Quality or Patient Safety: This category encompasses important or novel work in the field and includes data demonstrating the impact of the work. Abstracts will be presented in the standard Background, Methods, Results, and Conclusions format. Topics likely to be innovative in the field of QI and Patient Safety may include (but are not limited to) the quality tenets of healthcare equity, patient and family centeredness as well as new topics or methods in education, reporting, analysis etc.
• All abstracts will be considered for poster presentations. Selected abstracts will be accepted for podium (oral) presentation. Abstracts submitted may be considered for either format at the discretion of the COQIPS Abstract Review Committee.
• Submission will not preclude future submission for journal publication, nor does prior presentation or acceptance at another medical or scientific meeting disqualify submission to this section. However, prior publication WILL disqualify submission.
• Abstract submissions are expected to have received Institutional Review Board approval or exemption when appropriate.
• Certificate awards will be given to the Best Poster Presentation, Best Podium Presentation, and Best Pediatric Trainee Abstract.
• Abstracts that are accepted into the program and would like to be considered for an award must submit their poster/presentation in advance. The deadline for submission of the poster/presentation is October 15, 2018. Instructions for doing this will be provided upon acceptance into the program.
• Presenters of accepted abstracts should notify Laura Ferguson as soon as possible if they must cancel their presentation.
Topics may be focused on a wide array of issues, including but not limited to:
• Research in quality improvement and patient safety
• Innovative ways of identifying and implementing projects to improve patient safety
• Implementation of clinical practice guidelines robustly derived from evidence, including local guidelines or those developed and/or endorsed by AAP other specialty societies
• Innovations in teaching quality improvement and/or patient safety, including interprofessional education
• Collaboration with local medical societies, AAP state chapters and the Chapter Alliance for Quality Improvement (CAQI) as well as local organized medicine entities
• Use of the EHR to document and improve compliance with best practices, clinical guidelines, patient safety
• Patient safety projects that address error reporting, adverse event reporting and management as well as “never events”
• Patient and family centeredness, perspectives and satisfaction with health care
• Social determinants of health and equity of healthcare quality
• High value, cost effective care
• Triple AIM including healthcare professional well-being and satisfaction
Please contact Cathleen Guch with any questions.
Log in to submit an Abstract
Questions? Organizer: Katie Friedman - email@example.com /