We dedicate this award to the memory of the late Mary Pazdur, NP, who dedicated her life and career to caring for her family and her patients. Mary was instrumental in providing support and guidance during the creation of the Journal of the Advanced Practitioner in Oncology
(JADPRO). The Mary Pazdur Award for Excellence in Advanced Practice in Oncology
recognizes and honors a member of the Advanced Practitioner Society for Hematology and Oncology (APSHO) who demonstrates exemplary leadership and makes outstanding contributions in the areas of clinical practice, research, education, collaboration or mentorship.
Thank you for your interest in nominating an advanced practitioner for this award. The inaugural award will be presented at the annual JADPRO Live
conference in Hollywood, Florida, November 1-4, 2018.
The audience of JADPRO Live
includes nurse practitioners, physician assistants, clinical nurse specialists, advanced degree nurses, hematology/oncology nurses, pharmacists and physicians. The Board of Directors of APSHO and the JADPRO Live conference chair invites you to nominate a deserving member of the society to be considered for this award.
The nomination submission deadline is 11:59pm EDT on Thursday, May 31, 2018.
You must complete the entire submission process by 11:59pm EDT on Thursday, May 31, 2018 for your nomination to be considered. The nomination deadline will not be extended.
Requirements of the Nominator
Nominations may be submitted by individuals who are or have been colleagues of the nominee. The nominator is not required to practice at the same institution or location as the nominee, but he or she should be able to provide a clear description of the qualifications and experience of the nominee through a shared professional experience. The nominator may be an advanced practitioner but can also be a colleague in a different discipline in oncology; likewise, the nominator does not have to be a member of APSHO. Self-nominations will not be considered for this award.
The nominee must be an advanced practitioner member of APSHO. An advanced practitioner is defined as a nurse practitioner, physician assistant (PA), clinical nurse specialist, pharmacist, or advanced degree (Master’s degree or higher) nurse.
Current practice or role of the nominee:
The nominee must have a minimum of five years of experience in oncology or malignant hematology and be practicing currently in one or more of the following roles:
- Clinical practice
- Direct patient care as provider and prescriber; collaborative care with physicians or within a multidisciplinary
team; provision of care during clinical trials, procedures, symptom management and treatment or level-of-care
- Settings may include an academic medical center, comprehensive cancer center, community cancer center, hospital
inpatient, outpatient hospital-based cancer center, private practice, and/or hospice
- Quantitative or qualitative research
- Principal investigator or sub-principal investigator experience, protocol development, review board correspondence,
patient recruitment and consent, direct patient care, grading and management of adverse events, data collection, data
analysis, reporting or presentation, and/or publication
- Committee or other collaborative work
- Involvement or leadership in tumor boards, guideline development, policy development, education, professional
society work/contributions, publication, health care policy work
- Clinic supervision, administration, team education, development of pilot projects, advanced practice specialty
clinics, private practice, mentoring, program development
- Faculty, curriculum development, advisor, speaker/presenter, team education, mentoring, professional
- Patient/caregiver advocacy work, mentoring programs, health care policy work, community education, event
organization, program development
A nominee should possess and demonstrate excellence, skill, passion, empathy, leadership, ethics, positive influence, vision, collaboration and continuous learning.
Nominee work and contributions:
Nominees must exhibit evidence of contributions to oncology or malignant hematology in areas such as clinical practice, research, quality improvement, guideline development, collaborative practice/projects, AP-led projects, mentorship, or oncology/hematology literature.
The following individuals are NOT eligible for the award at this time:
Requirements of the Nomination Submission
- APSHO Board of Directors – during term and for 3 years post-term
- JADPRO Live Planning Committee – current term
- The APSHO Mary Pazdur Award Development/Review Committee – current term
- Advanced practitioners not currently working in oncology or malignant hematology (such as working in a different
specialty or in retirement)
The nominator should submit information regarding the nominee with supporting documentation. A nomination will not be considered fully submitted and ready to enter the review process without the following information:
- Full name, credentials, title/position, institution, email and phone number of the nominator
- Full name, credentials, title/position, institution, email and phone number of the nominee
- Cover Letter for the nomination, to include:
- A description of the nominator’s professional relationship to nominee
- Essay on why this person is being nominated, to include:
- Description of nominee attributes
- Nominee's key contributions to oncology using descriptive examples
- Statement as to why this person should receive the award
- Letters of recommendation from two additional sources, that include:
- Full name, credentials, title/position, institution, email and phone number
- Additional supporting documentation or statements the nominator would like to provide
Submission requirements must be met and approved for a nomination to move into the review process. If there are questions regarding the submission information for a nomination, the nominator will be notified by a member of the APSHO Mary Pazdur Award Review Committee.
Nominee Review Process
All completely submitted nominations that meet submission requirements will undergo review by the APSHO Mary Pazdur Award Review Committee via the electronic submission system. The committee may contact nominators with questions regarding the nomination submission information. The committee may also contact sources of the supporting letters of recommendation. During the review process, the task force may contact nominees with questions or for additional information.
Nomination Review Period
The nomination review period will be June 1 – June 30, 2018.
Once nomination reviews are complete, the final selection will be made by the APSHO Mary Pazdur Award Review Committee. The committee will notify the award recipient, the nominators, and all nominees of the outcome in July 2018.
The award recipient will receive a $5,000 grant, a trip to JADPRO Live 2018 (including registration to the JADPRO Live conference, hotel accommodations at The Diplomat Hotel in Hollywood, Florida for 3 nights, November 1 through November 4, 2018 and roundtrip airfare, and hotel transfers); and recognition at the conference as well as in an issue of the Journal of the Advanced Practitioner in Oncology
(JADPRO) and the APSHO Advance
Please refer to The Mary Pazdur Award for Excellence in Advanced Practice in Oncology Official Rules
for additional information. The Official Rules can be found at www.marypazduraward.com.
Accessing the Nomination Submission System
Submitting nominators may access the Nomination Submission system below. After reading the guidelines and preparing a submission, the submitting nominator should click on “Create Account” under the New Users area to create an account for the submission system. Once an account is created, the system will provide the user with an access key, allowing the submitting nominator to access the nomination up until the submission deadline. Submissions that are incomplete at the time of the deadline will no longer be able to be accessed.
For any questions or concerns about the nomination process of The Mary Pazdur Award for Excellence in Advanced Practice in Oncology, contact the nomination coordinator, Kelley Moore, via email@example.com.
For more information about Mary Pazdur and this award dedicated to her memory, please visit www.marypazduraward.com.
The nomination submission deadline is 11:59pm EDT on Thursday May 31, 2018.